Needlework Tours Pty Ltd (ACN 137 275 202) is an independently owned Company run by Tour Manager Maureen Laughlin and her husband Simon. Needlework Tours is a specialist tour company that has for a number of years conducted Needlework and Stately Homes Tours throughout the UK, Ireland, France and Italy. These small group specialist tours combine the visiting and staying in beautiful stately homes, history, fine dining and gardens with needlework classes from Royal School of Needlework trained tutors.
More recently the company has utilized its experience in needlework tours to expand into needlework cruising. The inaugural Needlework Cruise set sail in February 2013 to the South Pacific with nearly 200 guests including 12 of Australia’s most renowned needlework tutors and some 160 enthusiastic stitchers. Since then we have been cruising twice a year to destinations such as Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Fiji and New Caledonia. Our cruises for 2017 include a total of 40 creative tutors teaching 120 different projects.
The tour and cruise hosts at Needlework Tours are Maureen and Simon Laughlin and their team. Maureen has over 32 years’ experience in the travel industry, including escorting many private tours around the world. Maureen's second love after her family is her avid interest in needlework and craft and she wants nothing more than to have the walls at home bowing with the weight of her completed projects. Simon’s experience has been at a senior corporate level in management, project management and the information technology sector.
Needlework Tours Pty Ltd operates under italktravel & Cruise Brighton (fully licensed member of AFTA/ATAS)
italktravel & Cruise Brighton handles the booking and payment of international travel and accommodation arrangements and Needlework Tours Pty Ltd plans and leads the respective tours and cruises. As well as being extensively world travelled, Maureen and Simon’s main desire is to surpass customer expectations and ensure each of our guests enjoy their Needlework Tour & Cruise experience immensely.
italktravel & Cruise Brighton was founded in 1984 and is one of Brighton's pre-eminent travel agencies. italktravel & Cruise Brighton is a member of IATA and fully licensed. They are specialists in providing the holiday and business traveller with comprehensive and quality service. italktravel & Cruise Brighton sales consultants have a minimum of 15 years’ experience and have travelled extensively.
There is no need to research flights, holidays or waste hours trawling through the Internet - just contact italktravel & Cruise Brighton and their friendly staff will do the rest.
Craft Creations Cruise 2018
Spoil yourself and indulge your passion for craft while making new friends who share your enthusiasm on an unforgettable cruise from Sydney to Seattle via New Caledonia, Loyalty Island, Vanuatu, Fiji and Hawaii. You’ll feel like you’re on holiday the minute you step on board the luxurious Explorer of the Seas. The ship is jam-packed with recreational facilities for relaxation, casual to fine dining options and extensive entertainment opportunities.
We have seven fabulous days of classes on our sailing days to try your hand at something new, improve your skills or just relax and enjoy doing what you love in our bright and private teaching spaces. Select three projects from our on-board tuition program of 72 projects from 24 talented and popular Australian and New Zealand tutors. You’re sure to find classes that appeal. There are Welcome and Farewell events, Show and Tell, Special Tour events in Hawaii and Seattle and exclusive opportunities to shop on board for your favourite craft supplies from our wonderful tutors.
This cruise is ideally suited to both the single traveller and those who bring friends and partners, as this cruise offers plenty of options to keep them as entertained as they wish to be for the entire journey.
We’re with you all the way, from taking your enquiry, booking your cruise, welcoming you on board and managing the tuition program until we wave you goodbye as you disembark.
Southwest England and Wales "The Classical" Needlework and Stately Homes Tour 2017
Our "Classical" embroidery workshop tour combines breathtaking Stately Home accommodation, exclusive private tours and classes with the world’s finest Royal School of Needlework trained tutors.
- London (Windsor) Surrey, Hook, Frome, Powys, (Wales) Winchcombe, Luton, Heathrow.
- Superb Stately Home Accommodation: Tylney Hall, Ston Easton Park, Llangoed Hall, Luton Hoo
- Seven Days of Needlework Classes, taught in the Stately Homes
- RSN trained Teachers Jenny Adin Christie, Clare Clensy, Kate Barlow, Rachel Doyle and Lorna Bateman
- Small group of like-minded guests (well suited to the single traveller)
- Private Tour of Hampton Court Palace, Royal School of Needlework, Bath
- Visits to Midsomer Quilting, Sudeley Castle, Bath Costume Museum and High Tea at the Ritz
- Variety of techniques taught: Stump work, Goldwork, Whitework, Blackwork, Ribbon Embroidery
Northern England, Scotland & Ireland Embroidery Workshop Tour 2018
During this historically rich thirteen day tour, we stitch and travel our way from London through Scotland and on to Ireland. This unique tour concept is of staying, stitching and dining in magnificent stately home accommodation. What a way to combine passion with pleasure.
- London (Windsor) – Stamford, York, Yarm, Innerleithen, Edinburgh, Wemyss, Glenrothes, Glasgow, Bishopton, Ballantrae, Lisburn, Drogheda, Dublin and County Wicklow.
- Superb Stately Home Accommodation Crathorne Hall, Mar Hall, Glenapp Castle.
- Four - Five days of classes, taught in the Stately Homes
- Royal School of Needlework trained tutors
- Visit: Burleigh House, Traquair House, Holyrood Palace, York, The Bowes Museum, Irish Linen Museum, Workshop at the historical School of Weymss, Private Tour of York, Dublin/County Wicklow, Avoca Knitting Mills
- Variety of techniques taught: Stumpwork, Goldwork, Whitework, Blackwork.
The Queen to Queen Embroidery Lecture and Workshop Tour 2018
Immerse yourself in historical embroidery. This unique tour is like no other. This purposely created tour will appeal to those who wish to take their embroidery skills and knowledge to a deeper level. This tour combines, presentations, talks and workshops on specific embroidery subjects. All, whilst staying in first class stately home accommodation. An experience of a life time!
- London (Windsor), Wych Cross, East Sussex, Hampshire, Somerset, Powys, Wales, Heathrow
- Eight days of classes (4 x 2 day classes)
- Variety of techniques taught: Stumpwork, Goldwork, Whitework, Blackwork, Crewelwork Teachers: Jenny Adin-Christie, Dr Lyn Hulse, Jacqui Carey, Kate Barlow.
- Specialty Presentations on:
- Women as embroiderers in the Elizabethan and Stuart periods
- Elizabethan Stitches - an investigation into 16th & 17th century needlework
- Sweet Bags - The small decorative purses that provide a visual feast of information about embroidery, needle lace and decorative trims in the 16th and 17th centuries.
- William Morris (1834-1896) and the rise of art embroidery
- May Morris (1862-1938): Designer and embroiderer
- The Embroidered furnishings of the Lethbridge sisters, c. 1899-1922
- Visit: The William Morris Gallery, The Red House, Tapeley Park
"Bellissimo" Italian Embroidery Workshop Tour 2018
This unforgettable tour includes an exploration of some of the finest aspects of Northern Italy. Be prepared for centuries of culture and architecture, authentic cuisine, museums, embroidery old and new, shops, and of course the opportunity to be taught by some of the most talented tutors you will find in Italy!
- Milan, Romano Canavese, Turino, Como, Lake Como, Malpensa
- Superb Accommodation: The Grand Hotel Milan, Hotel Villa Matilde and Hotel Villa Flori Lake Como
- Eight days of classes (4 x 2 day classes)
- Acclaimed Italian Embroidery Teachers
- Choose from five Italian Embroidery Techniques Reticello, Punto Antico, Ricamo Bandera, Ricamo Estense, Ars Panicalensis “Embroidery on Tuille”.
- Experience a tour of Milan, visits to Poldi Pezzoli Museum, Antica Fabbrica, Museum Didattico Della Seta and Point de Marque Embroidery Shop
"Trés Jolis" French Embroidery Workshop Tour 2018
Experience the splendour of France with thirteen wondrous days taking in Paris and Normandy while mastering four French embroidery techniques along the way. This is a specialist tour for lovers of needlework, fine textiles, laces and threads.
- Paris, Normandy, Bayeux, Giverny, Jouy-en-Josas, Chantilly, Paris Airport
- Superb Accommodation: The Hotel Westminster, Le Lion d'Or, Auberge du Jeu de Paume
- 5 - 6 days of classes
- Be taught by France’s finest Tutors
- Includes French White Work, Peinture a l’aiguille (painting with a needle), Boutis and the Bayeux Stitch
- Experience famous old Parisian textiles and haberdashery shops at Saint-Ouen market, Maison Sajou, Au ver a Soie, Ultra Mod, Le Bonheur des Dames, Monet’s Garden, Seine River Cruise, Tour of Normandy Beaches and a World War II Cemetery, the Bayeux Tapestry, Toile de Jouy Museum and Chantilly Lace Museum.